Thursday, August 30, 2012

Lesson learned...

The other day my Husband was getting ready for work when our garbage disposal suddenly stopped working. I LOVE my in-sink disposal and have become quite accustomed to using it. I'm not kidding, it literally gets used at each meal and quite often for snacks too. I freaked out when it stopped working! My Husband, who was already dressed in his work attire, came to my rescue and tried to figure out what was wrong with my favorite kitchen accommodation!

He was trying to figure it out when he accidentally stuck his work shirt covered arm under the running water. I got upset for him and couldn't believe that he just rolled up his sleeve and kept working. He didn't skip a beat while I was getting more and more upset as the seconds ticked by. I even asked him why he wasn't mad about his shirt getting wet. I would have been throwing a fit by this point…wait, I already was.

He simply explained that it wasn't that big of a deal, his shirt wasn't that wet, it would dry and if it caused a problem he could change quick before leaving. I was stunned. Why had I overreacted so quickly. Plenty of households don't have garbage disposals. I didn't have one until moving into this house and we managed just fine without it. So why was I so upset?

Seriously? Life has become one upset after another for me. I used to just let things roll off my back, not getting worked up about anything. Why have I become so emotional about every little thing that doesn't go my way? Life isn't perfect, I know that. So why do I get so bent out of shape when life happens?

My poor family has been living with a crazed, overly-emotional, Mother who has totally unrealistic expectations for every area of her life. I expect perfection from everyone and every situation when in reality - I'm so far from reacting perfectly! I throw fits just like my three year old whenever something goes differently than I had planned.

But it says in God's word in Proverbs 17:27 The one who has knowledge uses words with restraint, and whoever has understanding is even-tempered.

EVEN-tempered. In other words, not blowing a gasket or having a melt-down any time something doesn't go my way. Not throwing a temper tantrum when the kids are misbehaving, when the garbage disposal is not working or when I'm not sleeping well. It means using restraint in my emotions when I feel like the world is ending. God never told me life would be perfect but he did say that His grace is sufficient and I should rely upon Him to fulfill all of my needs!

How do you remain even-tempered when life is not going your way?

No comments:

Post a Comment