Saturday, July 21, 2012

Escape Artist - Part 2

Photo Credit
The latest escape attempt took place at our church. My Mom and I picked up the kids from the nursery and were putting their coats on. Unfortunately only two adults means one child was left to their own devices…too bad that child happened to be Jacobi, the escape artist. Sure enough, once the coats were on I turned back and Cobi, who had just answered me when I told him to stay put, was gone! Panic sets in and we're off to frantically search for him.

Our church is not huge but not small either. There were close to 100 people mulling about in the foyer and more coming in for the next service. My Mom took off one direction and I took off in the other, holding Shaelyn and practically dragging poor Micah, all the while shouting out for Cobi. My arm finally died out after a good 10 minutes of searching both the top and bottom floors so I put Micah and Shaelyn back into the nursery. By now the nursery director is helping us look as well, still no luck. After about 20 minutes I finally give in and make that awful call to 911 to report a missing child. Sadly, I've gotten into the habit of closely remembering what Cobi is wearing every day so that if, God forbid, he goes missing again, I know exactly how to describe him.

While on the phone with 911 we continued searching and ended up outside looking over their property. Still no luck! Officers were dispatched as I started heading next door to the elementary school's playground. I see my Mom take off running and hear her say something to the effect of, "Yes, please stop him"! I come around the corner to see another nursery worker walking Cobi back our direction.

Thankfully we found him before the police actually arrived and were able to stop them from making the unnecessary trip. A good Mom friend of mine is married to a police officer who tried to explain to Cobi what a dangerous thing running away is. Like most three year olds, Cobi just doesn't quite get it yet. He wanted to go to the park and we were taking too long. He knew how to get there so why not just go?

After a few shed tears and lots of prayer thanksgiving we headed home.
Photo Credit
That is the most terrified I have been over him disappearing. Thank God it hasn't happened since…until:

Cobi now knows how to open his bedroom door, which has a child-proof handle on it. He can also open the gate at the top of the steps. I'm completely terrified that he'll be able to get the front door open and then what? Thankfully every time he's gotten out of his room he either comes to me in bed or goes to his Oma downstairs in her room. I'm really praying he doesn't ever attempt to open the front door.
So my question is: any suggestions on how to either
A) Keep him in his room?
B) Keep him from getting the front door open?
C) Strapping him in his bed?

Ok, so option C isn't an option on any level. But I seriously need advice on how to keep him safely contained in the house. I normally hear him by the time he's got the gate open at the top of the steps but with this pregnancy insomnia getting worse I'm becoming harder to wake up. I need to keep him safe! HELP!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment