Sunday, July 29, 2012

So much blood!

*Contains some graphic details, DON'T read if squeamish at the thought or mention of blood!
Picture two little boys and one little girl running around, chasing each other. What is bound to happen? Yep, somebody falls and gets hurt. Unfortunately we experienced this exact scene tonight.

The boys were running around their train table in the living room and Shaelyn happily joined in. She loves being chased by them and giggles her head off every time they turn her way. Tonight however, she ended up slipping and hitting her mouth on the side of their leather chair.

I was in the kitchen and saw it happen but Daddy was in the living room so he made it to her first. We're fairly used to accidents around here so I figured her owie just needed some TLC. Wrong! My Husband hollers at me that Shaelyn is bleeding. He's not one to overreact to blood, like I do, so when his tone said, "Hurry up" I knew it was serious.

Sure enough, she ripped the skin connecting her top lip to her gums. There was blood literally pouring out of her poor mouth. I'm serious, it was just gushing and I was afraid she was going to get sick from all the blood she was swallowing. We tried ice, popsicles, wet rags, yogurt and even squirting water from a syringe into her mouth to try and get the bleeding to stop. We prayed over her and asked the Lord to grant her speedy healing and no more bleeding! After 20 minutes the bleeding did stop…until Shaelyn saw her tooth brush and wanted to use it. We said no since we didn't want her to re-injure her mouth. She freaked out, melted down, screaming and crying and her mouth started bleeding again.

After another 15 minutes we couldn't get the bleeding to stop so we headed to the ER to get it stitched…per our pediatrician. Well, not even two minutes down the road the bleeding stopped. Since we didn't want another unnecessary $75 ER trip we hung out in the parking lot for a few minutes. She had no more bleeding so we decided to head back home. She cried a little in the car on the way back but no more blood!

We got home, she had a bottle and was complaining of the owie in her mouth so I gave in and gave her some baby tylenol. She fell asleep peacefully and is quietly snoring in her bed right now.

I'm so thankful she seems to be doing well right now. I'm praying she's not in pain tomorrow. I hate not being able to help my children feel better when they're hurt…better yet, I wish I could just prevent all of their pain. I guess that's a little how God feels towards us. He sent His Son to die for me so that one day I will feel no more pain!

No comments:

Post a Comment