Friday, July 13, 2012

10 things to pack in your Hospital Bag!

After 3 hospital births I have a fairly good idea of what is actually good to pack in your hospital bag. This is a list that works for me and many other Mama's I know but tailor it to your needs! I also compiled a list of 10 Things to pack in your Baby Hospital Bag

1) Camera!
If you forget everything else, remember to bring your camera. You'll never regret having too many pictures of your newest bundle but you will forever regret not having any.

2) Cell Phone & Charger!
You'll be sending out a lot of texts and e-mails announcing the new arrival and you'll want a way to charge your phone. Don't forget the charger!

3) Toiletries!
Hospitals do provide a basic soap to shower with but it's very drying. I recommend buying travel sizes of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lotion, even a loofa sponge to bring with you. You'll enjoy this small comfort vs using the hospital provided soap.

4) Tooth Brush and Paste!
You're mouth will probably feel pretty grimy after labor and you'll want to brush your teeth to look good for pictures! My hospital doesn't provide a tooth brush or paste so make sure you bring your own!

5) Hair Brush and Binders!
If you've got long hair you'll want hair binders so you can pull it back out of your face and off your neck. Short hair? Bring bobby pins or the like so you can pin it out of your face. Also bring a hair brush since they're not provided.

6) Nursing Tank Top!
Skip the nursing bra's with the underwire. You'll be sore and not want to deal with the wire rubbing against your skin. Trust me, it'll just make you mad! You'll also be thankful you have a tank top when visitors stop by so you're not worried about staying covered, especially if you stay in the hospital gown vs changing into pi's.

7) Your Pillow!
There's nothing like your own pillow! I find hospital beds insanely uncomfortable and having my own pillow makes it just bearable. I would keep the pillow to the side during labor to avoid getting anything on it or throw a plastic cover on it under a pillow case you don't mind tossing should it get messy.

8) Your Birth Plan!
Don't forget to bring copies of your birth plan to hand out to the nursing staff so they know your wishes. You can even post a copy on your room door so they see it every time they enter.

9) Going Home Outfit!
You'll probably not be in your pre-maternity clothes just yet, and if you are please don't tell me about it! I always bring an outfit that fit me when I was about 6 months along so there will be plenty of room for your tummy that isn't all the way shrunk down yet. I typically bring a super comfy lounge type outfit so I know I'll be comfortable in the car ride home too!

10) Snacks!
Throw some snacks into your bag that you can munch while in labor. You'll need to eat to keep up your energy and hospital's only have vending machines. If you plan to get foods out of said vending machines make sure you come prepared with plenty of quarters!

This list is what I have found most useful while in the hospital but again, tailor it to your own personal needs and desires. Chapstick, Gum, Mints, and music are also great things to have with. *The Baby bag items are not included in this list!

No comments:

Post a Comment