Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Sting of Disobedience

As I've mentioned before, our kids have three kiddie pools in our backyard that they LOVE swimming in. We have a no jumping rule to prevent injuries but it's almost never followed. I'm always terrified someone is going to slam into someone else, scrape something on the edge of the pool and end up with a deep cut or fall into the side and hurt something internally. I know, I'm an over-reactor!
Anyway, today while we were in the backyard the kids were swimming. After warning them, for what felt like the millionth time, not to jump into the pools…Micah fell into the side of one and came up screaming bloody murder! Honestly, I'm surprised our neighbors didn't call 911, it was ear piercing! Sure enough, he was bleeding and already bruising on his side, right under his rib cage.
We headed inside to dry off and inspect the damage. His injury is pretty tender and for the first 20 minutes, or so, he wouldn't even stand up. I was so frustrated that this was such a preventable injury and yet, because of their disobedience, he got hurt and this time it was pretty bad.

It was in the midst of telling them I was frustrated because they didn't listen and thus suffered the consequences that I was reminded that the same goes for my disobedience in life. I may not get scrapes and bruises from jumping in a pool but I do get plenty of other consequences for not doing what's right.

It says in 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. If I don't eat right or exercise I suffer the consequences of excess weight gain, excess fatigue and a host of other medical issues.
It says in Proverbs 22:26-27 Do not be a man who strikes hands in pledge or puts up security for debts; if you lack the means to pay, your very bed will be snatched from under you. If I over spend or depend on money from others that I cannot repay I could end up homeless.

The list goes on and on. Being foolish with my bed time, spending, eating, exercising, etc can and does often result in consequences. How quickly I forget that my children are not perfect BUT neither am I!

No comments:

Post a Comment