Friday, August 24, 2012

Nesting - NOT for the faint of heart

I don't know what it is about this pregnancy, ahem Pinterest, that is making me feel the need to nest like crazy! So, the Girls Room is DONE! The Laundry Room is DONE! My family room is as DONE as it gets with this ever-expanding, always changing quad-set of littles. So naturally I need to work on the Kitchen & Dining Room next! Here's where it goes a little haywire.

Here in our humble abode we like spices! We have a TON of them! Problem is, they're not stored in a very intelligent way so we can't ever see what we do or do not have. Thus, we end up buying six jars of oregano, not realizing there's already 5 other jars in the drawer. So I did a little web browsing and found Jen's Spice Organization. While I liked the idea of hanging the spices in magnetic jars, hers were too small and too expensive for my taste. Plus, the way my cupboards are arranged I didn't have much space to hang jars inside the cupboards. Instead, we headed to IKEA, my favorite store in the whole world, and found THESE! They're big enough to hold all of our spices and a little more cost effective! I picked up 12 in the store and grabbed the 13 I had in my basement to complete the necessary storage for the 25 spices I needed homes for! The top section is baking spices and the bottom section is cooking spices.

I slapped some labels on them, labeling as I went so I knew what spices were what. Next up was just arranging them on our fridge!
In all reality it probably won't stay this nice all the time but being my OCD self, it might! Time will tell how well these work but so far I'm loving them! Bonus: they freed up counter space, a cupboard shelf and a drawer!!!

Next up was the utensil's chaos that was taking up counter space in a poor way and a drawer. I divided them into groups and placed them in pretty containers with labels! Cooking: serving spoons, wooden spoons, and tong's. Knives: Pretty self-explanatory here, all of our cooking/steak knives are in this one. Finally Baking: spatula's, whisks, and the rolling pin are stored in here.

I then moved onto the cupboards and condensed things into like-grouped baskets. Labeled the bins and put them back into their home. I wish I had taken a before shot because it looks bare naked inside now!

With some more rearranging, thanks to the spices being moved, I was able to bring my towels from the Dining Room into the Kitchen, where they belong since that's where they're used most!
I was also able to move my baggies, aluminum foil and other misc baking/cooking papers into a drawer!

Last up, a cookbook stand to fill the empty area next to the stove and making cooking easier! I found a nice and inexpensive one at Target!

The only things left to do now are find something to put on top of our fridge so it doesn't look like such empty space and Paint!!! Ok, realistically the painting will probably have to wait until next summer…but I can start looking at colors now!!!


Your turn! Did you nest during your pregnancy? If so, was it just Baby-related nesting or whole house flipping?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment